Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Works for Me: Plastic Zippered Bags




I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I thought I'd share it anyway! I was going to share it last week for WFMW, but I forgot it was backwards WFMW!

Anyway, one of my goals for 2008 is to declutter and organize every room in my house. I started with the spare room, which had become a storage room. I want to turn it into a library/reading room.

I started by organizing all my wrapping paper, gift bags, tissue paper, bows, etc. During that process, I realized I needed a three-drawer cart. I had one in the upstairs hallway with all my party (baby shower, birthday, and bridal shower) decorations and related items that I've used and reused (if they were reusable, like decorations) over the years. I haven't had to use the items out of the cart so I decided to reorganize that.

Here's the before picture of the cart. Penni isn't actually 'stored' in the cart! She was just being 'helpful.' ::cough::


That's where I came up with this brilliant (in my opinion! LOL) idea to use all those plastic zippered bags from linens that I'd been saving over the years!

I used larger ones to store each of the party items.

The birthday party items in a zippered bag.

The bridal shower items in a zippered bag.

The baby shower items in a zippered bag.
Then I stored all three zippered bag in a storage tub that I had emptied earlier. It was in the basement with clothing that was too small and has now been bagged up to be delivered to a charity!
I used my Dymo label maker, which I love, to identify what's in the storage tub! Now all party items are stored and easily accessible again! Works for me!

Head over to Shannon's for more Works for Me Wednesday tips!

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I love this idea! I'm in the process of organizing my attic--something that will probably be a 'work in progress' throughout 2008. I'm going to get myself some of those big bags and copy your idea.
I have 2 cats. One of them insists on parking her furry b*tt in anything that resembles a box--no matter how small, no matter how cluttered. It's like their hardwired to think: there is a box, and I must sit in it!

jen said...

Great idea!